top of page

What the difference between a CPA, an accountant, and a bookkeeper?

CPA stands for Certified Public Accountant. To become a CPA one must meet the required educational and experience requirements and have passed the Uniform Certified Public Accountant Examination. CPAs are also required to maintain annual Professional Education credits that help them stay current with laws and regulations. CPAs are licensed by the state. Anyone can have the title of Accountant or Bookkeeper, and anyone with a PTIN can sign a tax return, but would you want that? Your doctor, lawyer, and teacher need specialized education and licensing - don't you want the person handling your finances to have the expertise, the education and recognition of the state licensing board also?

How long should I keep my tax records for?

You will hear varying answers regarding record retention - three years, five years, seven years. That is because there is always a "what if" attached to the answer. If space is not an issue, be conservative and keep them for a longer period of time rather then a shorter period of time. Remember you can always scan documents and maintain them in electronic form.

What are your service fees?

As a service provider, the fees are based on the amount of time spent taking care of your tax, accounting, and consulting needs. Being organized and providing easy to follow files and supporting documents will lower your overall fee. The service we provide is personalized to each individual so we do not have a price list that fits all situations. We would be happy to discuss your particular needs.

bottom of page